Monday, October 1, 2007

Co workers and their work ethic

So on Friday I stayed home from work because Jr. was sick throwing up. Mini me decided that she didn't want to go to preschool if her brother wasn't going. I was tired from being up with him, so we just decided to go back to bed. I'm paying for school so I decided that she could stay home and probably wouldn't miss much. (This is the first day that I have missed.)

Anyway, I go in later that day to pick up my paycheck as well as homework for the kids. One of my coworkers barely said two words to me and wouldn't even look at me. Apparently it was busy around there and she needed my help.

So I walk in today and notice first thing (she is our receptionist) that she is not there. The principal is there instead. I take my kids to class and hurry to get back up to the front. By this time the vice principal is sitting there. I walk up just when the phone is ringing, so I answer it. I answer a question or two from the parents and then notice the vice principal is gone.

So I guess the desk is mine. Everyone deserted me. I don't mind doing it, I would just like to be asked. I really don't mind the vice principal leaving me (it's not her job), but I am really irritated that the receptionist is gone. AGAIN!!!!

I hate missing work because my job is a teacher's aide at the school, however, I do so much more than that. So instead of getting off at three today, I didn't get off work until four. I don't mind the work. It's very easy. I just don't like her being gone all the time. I am constantly covering her butt.

Without in the last month she has missed 4 full days and several times away from the desk. Two of the days she was out of town, one day she went to the state fair, and today she was "sick". She also has left at least three or times for doctor's appt. for her kids, appt. for hair and nails, lunch date with her husband, etc. And that is just the last month. I think she has stayed home at least 2 other times with sick kids. It's becoming a routine.

The thing I think I hate the most is that I have such a good work ethic. My job is at that school. If I can at all help it, I am there everyday. Why do people so badly want to get away with only doing the minimum amount to get by? I just don't get it.

1 comment:

tiredofdisharmony said...

Turn the mirror around and take a look at an enabler. You say you are a teachers assistant, so why are you doing the receptionists job? Even while someone else is sitting there to cover her? If someone else wanted to do my work for me, I would take my extra time and do other stuff as well. You are not responsible for all that other "so much more". You should stop doing other peoples jobs and try taking some time for yourself to de-stress. If you are relaxed and not stressed, you probably won't care what the receptionist is doing.